Updated: Sep 14, 2021
Toward the end of my prep for my competition at North Americans, I began craving lemon flavored sweets. I couldn’t have them but for some reason it inspires me to be creative in the kitchen. I came up with a delightful recipe for sugar free, gluten free, diary free scones (keto friendly).
I made 4 variations of the scones- Lemon Blueberry, Caramel Pumpkin Spice, Chocolate Covered Chocolate Chip, and Lemon Rosemary. I couldn’t eat these delicious treats so I put them in the freezer for after the show.
One week after I returned from Pittsburgh, I began to come down with COVID symptoms (fever, body aches, weakness, headache, and fatigue) just as I’m starting prep for my next show. I still have to eat clean but I needed to incorporate more immune boosting foods into my diet.
My first meal calls for English muffins, so I made a swap for the scones and I am not disappointed.
Prep time 20 mins
Cook time 15 mins
Total 35 mins
For Scone Dough:
• 1 cup cornstarch
• 1 C oat flour
• 1 C Almond flour
• 1/2 C Swerve (Granular)
• 1 Tbsp Baking Pwdr
• 1 3/4 tsp xanthum gum
• 1/2 tsp sea sat
• 1/4 tsp baking soda
• 3/4 C coconut oil (chilled)
• 1 C cold unsweetened dairy free milk
• 1 Large egg
• 1 tsp Vanilla extract (or lemon, depending on flavor you want)
• 1 1/2 C mix-ins (berries, nuts, chocolate chips, etc.)
For the Glaze:
• 1 C powdered Swerve (or erythritol)
• 1-2 Tbsp water
1. Preheat oven to 425°F and Lena large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
2. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
3. Cut in the coconut oil until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Gently stir in the cold dairy free milk, egg, and vanilla extract until just combined. Do not over mix (lumps are ok). The door will be sticky and shaggy.
5. Gently fold in the mix ins.
6. Liberally flower clean work surface. Place this condo on your work surface and cover with a piece of clean plastic wrap. Using your hands, shape the dough into a desk. Now use a rolling pin to roll the disc of dough into an even round is 1 inch thick.
7. Peel off the plastic wrap and use a sharp knife to cut the dough into eight triangles.
8. Transfer the triangles to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 to 16 minutes.
9. Remove to wire racks to cool.
TO MAKE POWDERED SUGAR GLAZE
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of water until smooth. If the glaze is too thick, add more water, a teaspoon by teaspoon, until it reaches the desired consistency.
2. Drizzle over the scones.
Extracts & Mix-ins:
Lemon Blueberry Scones: Lemon Extract, Blueberries mix-in.
Caramel Pumpkin Spice:
Caramel Extract, Lilly’s Pumpkin Spice flavored chips mix-in.
Chocolate Covered Chocolate Chip:
Vanilla Extract, Lilly’s Chocolate Chips mix-in.
Lemon Extract, Rosemary mix-in.
If you use this recipe, please share your experience and what creative combinations you’ve tried!